Thursday, May 27, 2010

Fashion Fail

I realize I am an old fogey. I own up to this fact. However, there are some things that I simply do not get - and I don't think I ever shall. Today's "thing" is the phenomenon known as "saggy pants."

A few years ago when I was teaching middle school, the saggy baggy pants was the thing. The boys loved to wear them and the teachers hated them. In between crucial lesson points, we also had to say, "And pull your pants up, please." Explicit wording in dress codes did not help - mainly because the words we wanted to use were prohibited by the school board.

Fast forward to today - as I was driving home, I passed two young gentlemen walking along on the sidewalk. One in particular was talking on his phone. I can only suppose it was such an important call that he could not talk and keep his britches from falling down. As a result, his pants were hugging the bottom of his cheeks - butt cheeks, that is. And he had on red plaid boxer shorts, which I really didn't need or want to see.

My main question about this fashion is this - exactly who thinks this style is cool? Who really wants to see all that? Not only do the pants look ridiculous, but the walk that must be performed while trying to keep the pants at the desired location on one's hips looks ridiculous. And if I wanted to see a young man's under-drawers, then just wear the under-drawers.

Many moons ago, when I had hips worth mentioning, I wore hip-huggers. This was a style of jeans that sat on one's hips and looked cool. They accentuated one's hips - not the bottom of one's butt cheeks. If we wanted to emphasize our butt cheeks, then we just wore tighter hip huggers.

Maybe the answer if for all us old fogeys to adapt this saggy pants. Maybe parading our old butts around would thwart the coolness factor. Certainly a gander at my granny panties should cause a second thought!
________________________________________________________________
Things that make today great: Cabinet chat with Barry and Christian; kitchen talk with Molly; airport pickups for Sam and Steve; visit with Sarah and Lindley and Lindley's new back lawn; chatting with cleaners lady

No comments: