Sunday, April 25, 2010

Little Hands

This evening as I lay lolling on the couch, I reached over and grabbed Maribeth's hand. I was amazed at how large it seemed. I even commented on how gargantuan it seemed and wondered why.

Then it dawned on me. For the last three months, I've been holding Lindley's little hand. Even as her hands grow bigger, they are still tiny compared to adult hands.

But it wasn't so long ago that Maribeth's hands were little, too. To remind me, I have an much-used oven mitt that she made over 20 years ago (unbelievable). That hand, which seemed so little then, is now all grown up.

But the best thing about little hands grown into big hands is this - we never forget how precious they were when they were lost in our big hands. We never forget how we held them to cross the street, or to play patty-cake, or to kiss and make better. No matter how big they get, they're still the little hands they we love so much, because for every little bit of growth those little hands made, our love for them grew ever so much bigger.
__________________________________________________________________
Things that make today great: Shoney's breakfast and Targeting with Steve, Maribeth, and Molly; William at Massage Envy; Maggie the Cat sitting in the Bumbo; evil Girl Scout Thin Mints

No comments: