Saturday, March 6, 2010

Sometimes You Run ... And Sometimes You Don't


Last Saturday, I jogged 3.1 miles in the ESPN The Weekend 5K. Today I mostly walked the Royal Family 5K. One might wonder why the difference in effort in only seven days.

Maybe it's because there were about three times the number of participants in today's race, making for a more clogged course. Maybe it's because there were more children (and strollers) in this race, making it a generally slower pace for everyone. Maybe it's because today's race wasn't timed, whereas last week's was. Maybe it's because I have bigger fish to fry (and more miles to do) tomorrow. Maybe it's because there were three of us today instead of last week's duo. Maybe it's because there were Disney princesses and characters out today on the course. Maybe it's because it was colder today.

Or maybe it's just because I didn't feel like jogging today and I did last week. Maybe just because something seems the same, it isn't. Maybe just because you did something once, doesn't mean you have to have a repeat performance every time. Maybe sometimes it's better to slow down and enjoy the journey.

Today's race wasn't diminished by a slower race than last week. It was fun and I did it with family. I saw other families and friends doing the 5k together, I got a picture with Mickey and Minnie, and I got to wog around Epcot. It was a beautiful morning to enjoy being outside.

How could a 5k be any better than this?
___________________________________________________________________
Things that make today great: Royal 5k with Steve and Molly and all the people (and characters) involved; breakfast at First Watch; new watch replaced for broken one; dinner delivery by Steve and Molly; rocky road ice cream from Ghiradelli

No comments: