Sunday, March 7, 2010

Running Like A Princess

Today I finished my fourth half-marathon since January 9. I actually had the best time that I've had in awhile (but that's still very s-l-o-w). It was a great day - beautiful weather, lots of people to watch, lots of encouragement from spectators, and a successful half marathon.

There were many high points. I was happy not to have fallen when I stepped in the pothole, and even happier when I thought I was about to pass Mile 10, only to find out it was Mile 11. Mile 9 seemed like one long, slow incline (up an on-ramp) that ended up being my longest mile time. There were several runners who were running for friends and family who had cancer, several runners dressed up as Disney characters, and several runners who were running their first half marathon. The real Disney characters were out all over the course and once again, I got to run through Cinderella's castle. As I ran past Mile 13, I looked over and saw Steve and Molly cheering me on.

All in all, a good day for running with 11,000 other princesses. Instead of glass slippers, we wore running shoes. Instead of ball gowns, we wore assorted running togs. Instead of being defined by a midnight deadline, we ran our own time. And instead of waiting for Prince Charming, we ran for ourselves.
____________________________________________________________________
Things that make today great: Beautiful day for a 13.1 wog; Princess Half-Marathon; Steve and Molly waiting at the finish; Earl of Sandwich with Molly; relaxing on the couch and finishing "The Help"; stroll with Steve and Molly to get dinner

No comments: