Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The Internet and Me

I was there for the dawning of the internet. Back then it was connected to the phone line and you basically logged on and then went and did your laundry while it connected. Things have gotten a bit faster since the good old days.

Now instead of being thankful that I don't need a land line, or time on my hands for logging in, or slow service all around, I get impatient if the very thing I want isn't available to me immediately. I want to read my email, check my facebook, and surf the net NOW!!! Maybe I need to chill.

Maybe that's what I'm supposed to be learning in my current state of internet-less. Last night, our internet got slower and slower until it stopped completely. Steve called Comcast and after consulting with the dude on the phone, the decision was made to go to the Comcast office to switch out the modems. Or at least for me to go and switch out the modems.

I did that early this morning, came home and reconnected the modem, called Comcast because it didn't take, connected the modem to a different cable, and then scheduled an appointment for an expert to come to the house (first appointment available is tomorrow afternoon) and fix it because it still wasn't working. I thought we were up and going later this afternoon when all the modem's green lights were lit (maybe I should have gotten lit instead). But no - all I got was a Comcast display telling me to download the software (which I did), reset the modem (which I also did), restart my computer (which I did several times), and give up (which I did since I didn't rush to cancel tomorrow's appointment, thank goodness).

Currently I am at Molly's on her internet so that I can detail my efforts. I guess you don't realize how much time you spend on something until you don't have it. I've heard people with Blackberries who say they have withdrawal when their phones act up. I get it now. I spent all day not knowing who is friends with whom on facebook. I wasn't one of the first to know that Tiger is poised to play golf again. I haven't been able to search for cute kitty videos.

I just have to remember that there was a time I got my news via the newspaper, I didn't know who had friends, and the world seemed to keep spinning without my input.

Maybe that's why my house was cleaner!
________________________________________________________________
Things that make today great: grocery shopping with Molly; Molly taking Steve's stuff out of my closet and to the consignment store; veggie chili for lunch; watching "The Dumb Morgans" movie with Maribeth and Molly; internet saga

2 comments:

ComcastCares1 said...

I understand how you feel. It may seem like a day is not complete without the internet :)

I work for Comcast and I am sorry for the trouble. Maybe I can have my contacts look into the problem before the tech gets there. If you would like for us to look into this, contact me and provide the phone number we have listed on your account.

Best regards,

Mark Casem
Comcast Corp.
National Customer Operations
We_can_help@cable.comcast.com

Luanne said...

Comcast - thanks so much for your input. Last night, the problem seemed to have been miraculously resolved and has stayed resolved, so I cancelled the tech visit. We figure it was one of those "area" problems that finally was worked out!! :)

Comcast has always been reliable and helpful, within their human limitations.