Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Napping 101

I am an expert in the art of "power napping." I have spent decades perfecting this technique of napping for 15 minutes or less and waking refreshed. I know when I need a power nap and usually feel much better afterward.

However, I am also experienced in "hard napping." This is a phenomenon that happens when you are napping and working really hard at it. Because you are asleep, you don't realize it until you wake up, feeling mentally (and sometimes physically) exhausted. Your brow may even be furrowed. Upon reflection, you vaguely remember dreaming intensely, but you don't remember about what. In the end, you realize that you have wasted all that naptime because you didn't get the rest that you were seeking.

There's also the "zone out" nap. This is when you're in a meeting, or listening to the same in-law's stories for the zillionth time, or watching "The Jersey Store" on TV. All of a sudden you realize time has passed. Rested? Maybe or maybe not, but it was a nap.

The best nap of all is the "perfect nap." This gift is a decent length nap and you wake up happy because - well you just do. You were in need of a good nap and you got it.

Today I started another session of boot camp at 5:45 am. Upon returning home, I put on a dry shirt (boot camp = sweat) and cuddled up on the couch with a blanket. The movie "Calamity Jane" starring Doris Day was on, and pretty soon I was out. I don't know how long I slept, but when I woke up, I felt super. It was a perfect nap.

In kindergarten, most children resist the idea of a group nap because they believe themselves to be too old for such a thing. The older we get, we value our naps (as we do regular elimination, hair color, and elastic pants). In fact, they become quite important (like Geritol, dinner at 4:30, and the above-mentioned elastic pants).

So, to end this tutorial I would like to assign homework. Take a nap. Take lots of them. If necessary, go to a kindergarten class and join the toddlers. Move to wherever siestas are mandated. Practice, practice, practice. After all, you need to be an expert in some things!!
___________________________________________________________________
Things that make today great: Beginning another session of boot camp with boot camp pals; picking up Maribeth from the airport; finishing Molly's pillows; watching "Calamity Jane" on TV

No comments: