Saturday, February 27, 2010

Maybe I Am An Athlete?

I've been watching the Olympics and I know what an athlete looks like. Frankly, I have yet to see one that resembles me (and my physique). However, I'm thinking that maybe I can lay claim to being a part of this illustrious group - athletes.

According to Dictionary.com, an athlete is:
a person trained or gifted in exercises or contests involving physical agility, stamina, or strength; a participant in a sport, exercise, or game requiring physical skill
So, I've decided to analyze my situation. According to these words, I wouldn't say I am necessary trained, although that would be my goal. I am certainly not gifted. However, I am a participant.

In January, I wogged a 5k and two half-marathons in Orlando and Miami. A week ago, I wogged 2.36 miles in Jacksonville. The next day, I wogged 13.1 miles. I have been a slow yet hopeful boot camper, doing things that my body reminds me I shouldn't be doing. Today I jogged 3.1 miles. I believe all this activity qualifies me as a participant. But does that really make me an athlete?

Maybe being an athlete means I have to start taking the responsibility of acting like one in addition to participating. Maybe I have to do the training, look at my nutrition, and study on how to perform better. Maybe being an athlete is more than just participating - it's a way of life.

Maybe that's the thing about being an athlete - it's not always about being the fastest or the winner in some sport - it's about believing in what you're doing and trying to do your best. As for me, I've got the participation thing going - now it's time to get going on the rest.
____________________________________________________________________
Things that make today great: ESPN 5k with Steve; changing my recipes over to new cards; a little more shopping; Wolfgang Puck's with Steve

No comments: