Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My History of TV

When I was growing up, we had one television. It was a black box and sat on a table. All the shows were in black and white. It was connected to an antenna on our roof and to turn the channels, you had to walk to the TV and turn the channel knob. However, even with the antenna and channel knob, most of the time we only got reception for one channel, a CBS channel. As I got older, we graduated to a color television and then a remote control. Cable didn't come out to our part of the county until after I had left home.

Fast forward about forty years. I have a humongous TV (a man's dream) complete with more remotes than any sane person needs. I have cable with hundreds of channels. One would think I would be in TV heaven. Think again.

First of all, for every channel there are too many shows I want to view. It doesn't help that many of the shows are on at the same time as another channel's shows that I want to watch. Then there's the dilemma of actually finding a show to follow, only to find out that it's been changed to another night, or cancelled, or not having any new episodes until whenever. There are shows that other people are talking about, shows that look really good in the previews, and shows that star actors that I really like - and they're all on at the same time. And don't even get me started on this DVR thing - more TV to watch that I didn't get to watch because I was watching something else while taping another something. It's almost too much for this one-channel girl to figure out.

Yes, I guess I could just turn the tube off and be done with it ... but I just found out that "My Three Sons" is on at 5 - in black and white - when Ernie joins the family! How could I not watch that!!!
__________________________________________________________________
Things that make today great: Getting the bathrooms clean; seeing Lindley and her grandparents and mom for a quick visit; applying the window cling to the bathroom window

No comments: