Monday, October 5, 2009

TLC - What Happened?

Dear TLC:

Years ago, I watched you with a passion. Shows like "Baby Story" and "Wedding Story" were fun and sweet. I watched your shows about real people and real families and all was good. The more recent shows like "Little People, Big World" and "The Little Couple" continued to show families in different situations and depict a different way of life. Even "John and Kate Plus Eight" was a delight - in the beginning. But lately their train wreck of a life has stopped me cold in my TLC-watching habits. I can't condone this family as they exploit their children in their pursuit of financial gain.

But TLC - last night you reached a new low with "Monkey Babies." Yes, I watched, and cringed through every family. At the conclusion of the show, I felt like a voyeur. I learned little about these people, the plight of monkeys treated like babies and later abandoned, or really anything constructive. I found it a sad program, much like many of your recent offerings. Instead of being "The Learning Channel," you've become something else - a peeping Tom peering in the my neighbor's window.

TLC - please go back to your roots. If you want to present a lifestyle, teach me about it. Explore all parts and let me learn. Quit trying to exploit people just for ratings. But if you're not going to change and continue to air programs, maybe like "Crazy People You Need to Criticize," then please change your name. I think "Totally Loathsome Crap" is more appropriate.

I'll get my learning elsewhere.
___________________________________________________________________
Things that make today great: Killer boot camp; flu shot at Walgreens; mailing packages and cards; boiled shrimp with Molly

No comments: