Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Me and Merle

Last week while at the girls weekend, I ran out of makeup. Many of you will understand when I say it was "scraping the last bit out with a toothpick" running out. While that meant a few fewer things in my quart Ziploc for airport security, it also meant no makeup in Nashville until I could get to Merle Norman.

Yes people, I am a Merle Norman girl. Over the years I have flirted with Mary Kay, Revlon, and numerous other beauty experts, but I remain a Merle-er. To date, my relationship with Merle goes back 37 years, back to when my mother took me to Geraldine's for my first beauty makeover.

Today as I was making my purchases at the Merle Norman store, I saw the products I used back in the day. There was the cleansing cream, which is the consistency of a thick hand cream mixed with a can of lard. There was super lube which probably could also be used to lubricate car parts. There was powder base, and every one's favorite, Bamboo Beige. In short, some things never change.

Well maybe I did, because I have graduated from those early products. I now have shelves of products to pick from. Now I use some sort of night cream (and its sister day cream) that has magical ingredients for "mature skin." Bamboo Beige has given way to alabaster (aka creamy white don't-get-in-the-sun old lady color). The can of loose powder and powder puff has transformed into a sponge and compact.

The point of all this is to say that things can stay the same and change too. The basics will always be around along with their new and improved counterparts. You just have to be able to discern which is best for you - what was or what is. And if you're smart, you'll find that you can use it all - car lube included!
_________________________________________________________________
Things that make today great: Re-supplying at Merle Norman; driving Molly's Prius; boot camp hump day; mailing packages

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Don't be makin' fun of my Super Lube- love it, use it! I am a Merle/Mary/Estee woman myself.

Luanne said...

I personally think it's just colored carbolated vaseline.