Thursday, September 10, 2009

Walking the Walk But Needing a Walker

This morning during boot camp, I managed to twist my ankle and then step on it. In a word - ouch. But I managed to heave myself through the remainder of the hour, including leap frog planks (don't ask). Upon returning home, I iced my rapidly expanding ankle, Tylenol-ed it, and napped it. However, it still gave cankles a run for their money.

This afternoon, I had a dental appointment to have a cavity filled, thanks to my lackadaisical flossing. It was my first experience with a "dental dam." For those of you with perfect teeth who may never experience this phenomena, a dental dam is a series of devices that go in your mouth to "keep everything dry and narrow the field." Basically, a clamp is stuck on one side of your mouth, a bite thingy is placed on the other, and some kind of material (like balloon material) is somehow wound around your teeth, tongue, and whatever else is in the vicinity. When they construct all this, your mouth has already been numbed by the numbing ointment, q-tip, and shot, so I have no idea exactly what the balloon is attached to.

Anyhow, I sat with this paraphernalia in my mouth for quite awhile, because the dentist was chatting it up with another patient, Luckily, the new dental office has a TV in every exam room, so I could watch Tiger Woods play - in between my trying to swallow with tinker toys in my mouth. Finally, the dentist came in and did her thing and I left with one newly-filled hole in my mouth.

All of this leads me to the point of today's post. As I was leaving the dental office, my left hip decided to spasm. So, here I am, walking to my car, limping on the foot with the ace bandage, drooling from a dead lip and mouth that was probably agape from having a speculum stuck in it for hours, and finishing my strut by slinging my twitching hip to complete the old lady shuffle.

Thank goodness I was parked next to the handicapped spaces - maybe it didn't looked so ridiculous!
___________________________________________________________________

Gifts that make today special: Dental office personnel; family burgers

No comments: