Thursday, September 3, 2009

Today's Flying Lesson

First let me reiterate that I do not enjoy flying. I appreciate the fact that flying gets me places much faster than it would if I decided to drive. However, I can walk - I cannot flap my arms and fly. And I know all the statistics about how it's more likely that I'll have a car wreck than be killed in a plane. Doesn't matter. Flying in an airplane still makes me nervous. Particularly in weather that could in any way make the flight bumpy. Which according to any pilot, means just about any weather. Which leads me to today.

I am headed to Los Angeles for the weekend. Disneyland, to be exact (I know - you're shocked). It's a long flight (which for me is anything over 15 minutes). I was not exactly looking forward to it, but knew it had to be done. Yes, I could have not gone to Los Angeles this weekend, but I needed to be at Disneyland for the Disneyland Half Marathon on Sunday - we'll discuss that at another time. Anyhow, the long flight didn't excite me, even though Molly would be on my flight, although more than likely not sitting anywhere near me - another topic for discussion in the future.

Now, before I take the the skies, like DAYS before, I am a meteorologist's worst nightmare. Luckily I do not have any of them on speed dial. But I do get on the Internet and study the weather - where I plan to take off and land. Earlier in the week, today looked like a good day to flirt with danger and fly. Imagine my discontent when this morning, as I rousted myself for boot camp, heard the thunder, and saw the rain. Steve, who was flying to Newark and back, assured me that the "front" would be moving through in an hour. He lied. An hour later, as Maribeth and I were running from boot camp hell to the car, it was raining cats and dogs.

I returned to the house, showered, jumped in the car with Maribeth, picked up Molly, and headed for the airport. Traffic was heavy because of the heavy rain. Maribeth hates driving in the rain. As for me, I'd rather drive in it than fly in it. Molly and I got checked in and headed for our gate. Of course, I am watching the weather, mainly waiting for Mr. Sun to show up. He is apparently sleeping in today. At the gate next to ours, the Southwest person announces, for all of us to hear, that their pilot who is going to Houston has decided to delay boarding so that the "weather to the south" can clear up. Our pilot apparently is a thrill seeker, because he doesn't seem to wish to delay loading. I'm considering flying to Houston with Pilot Safety First.

I take a swig of my Diet Coke, wishing it were something stronger, like Regular Dr. Pepper, and board the plane. As I am boarding the aircraft, a passenger behind me asks the Pilot Thrill Seeker if "we will get to see the fires." I am disturbed because (a) it's a stupid question - does she want to fly low enough so the wheels will melt? Does she not have a tv to see "the fires", and (b) Pilot Risk-Taker needs to be checking his gadgets in the cockpit, not listening to some knucklehead. Anyhow, Molly finds her seat next to some stranger, and I amble back to find my window seat. It is still raining and cloudy. Pilot Daredevil comes on the intercom and gives us his spill, adding that we will probably experience some bumps on the takeoff due to the showers in the area. Wonderful.

However, the longer I glare out the window, the skies do seem to be clearing a bit. I personally think it would be fine to wait until there are clear skies everywhere - after all, the race isn't until Sunday. But Pilot Evil Knievel takes off anyway.

Now, here's where the lesson comes in. As we are taking off, I look out my window. All I see are white fluffy clouds and beautiful blue sky. I am one happy passenger. I look to the left and out the opposite windows, and all I see are gray skies and icky clouds. I don't like it one bit. But I hear God say, "Just look on the light side." And I do. I'm tempted to look to the left, but I don't. I just keep looking to the light side and soon we're in the air with only minor bumps.

Last night in my women's group, one of the ladies told us some advice she had heard from an uncle. He said, "Worry is just looking to the future and seeing what you don't want to happen. Why not look to the future and see what you want to happen?" I think that's an excellent idea. We all have that choice - to look to the left or the right, the light or the dark. And ultimately, we know which side will give us the peace that we want.

So I'll look to the light side as much as I can, even though I know what may be on the other side. After all, that look may only take a moment, but it's my moment, and I want it to be a good one.
______________________________________________________________________
Gifts that make today special: Safe, smooth flight; killer boot camp; wheelbarrow race with Maribeth; Mimi's with Molly and Marissa; Candy Cane Inn and treats; rental car and driving to hotel

No comments: