Sunday, September 27, 2009

The Beginning, The End, and The Stuff in the Middle

I'm back at home in Nashville after a quick trip to Orlando to run 3 miles in the rain. This afternoon as I went through security in Orlando, the security scanner dude motioned for the security supervisor dude to take a look at my suitcase's contents. Supervisor pulled my bag and asked me about the "meat thermometer" that was in my bag. Immediately I tried to figure out why there was a meat thermometer in my bag - did I purchase one without my knowledge? As it turns out, what security thought was a meat thermometer was actually my fake compass medal from the Expedition Everest Challenge. Things are not always what they seem in the beginning.

Upon arrival in Nashville, our plane pulled over to the plane parking lot (I guess) to wait for our gate to clear. Apparently the plane occupying our slot had plane or luggage or passenger issues, and we couldn't deplane until that plane left the building. So we sat for 30 minutes, waiting to finish our trip. Sometimes endings are not what we expected but we really don't have a say in the matter.

In between my departure and arrival, there was a smooth, uneventful flight, but I still wasn't too thrilled. There was a lot of scenery to see, a beautiful sunset to appreciate, and plenty of clouds in which to find figures. But all that sort of got passed up due to my flying anxiety. Sometimes the stuff in the middle is good stuff, but we miss it because all we want is for the middle stuff to be over.

So what's the point of this? I guess it's just to remind myself that everything has a beginning, a middle, and an ending, all worth considering.
______________________________________________________________________
Things that make today special: Safe, smooth flight; sleeping in my own bed; Downtown Disney-ing

No comments: