Saturday, September 19, 2009

And Then There Was Saturday ...

.... which started early because Friday ended late. Let me explain.

Part of the Davidson Furniture Flu is rearranging the furniture you have because you're getting rid of some of it and possibly gaining more furniture. Friday night was my rearranging night. We moved the sectional and re-sectionalized it in a new configuration. The pool table got moved to the sun room, and the "picnic table" got moved to the den. The golf clubs travelled to the other side of the room and pictures got rehung (side story - I was rehanging the clock and clocked my finger with the hammer - only because I was balancing on a tiny stool while angling my post-torture-massage body at an 120 degree angle. Anyhow, I finally managed to get the nail in, and picked up the clock to place it on the nail. I noticed there was some sort of sticky stuff on the clock and my hands were wet - it was the blood dripping from my injured thumb). Anyhow, I was up until 2 am trying to get some semblance of order in the den.

Fast forward to 5am, when I knew I needed to start my "just 10 more minutes" so I could get to Sam's by 8 so we could get the truck and start the first shift. First shift had to be over at 11:13, so I could pick up Brother-in-law Philip from the airport, who is in town for the Vandy-MSU game today and the Titans game tomorrow. Anyhoo, first shift got underway, which involved moving Sam and Lynnette's bed from upstairs to the downstairs bedroom; taking apart the bed in the soon-to-be nursery and put it on the truck to go to my house; loading the upstairs entertainment center; loading the 18-ton entertainment center in the garage onto the truck, loading the desk and various chairs, and loading a bunch of other stuff on the truck to be taken elsewhere.

We were doing great and ended the shift by going to Sam's office and unloading some stuff and loading up some more stuff. We then went to my house, unloaded the Sam bed and proceeded to load the king bed from my guest (Disney) room. This was probably the highlight of the day, when I thought I could carry my part of the king mattress on my head - I ended up bent over, rump to the world, unable to move, laughing like an idiot (and looking like one, too), while Sam is wondering what's going on, since he is successful in his head-mattress configuration. Finally, we get everything loaded (sort of) and we go back to Sam's house where we miraculously unload the king bed and take it upstairs to their bedroom.

I go get Philip and take a break. Molly and Steve return from their brief trip to Mississippi to show GDizzle Molly's new car. Molly calls her friend-boys and we start Shift Two. This involves returning to Sam's to retrieve truck full of stuff and take it to my house, where we unload the stuff from Sam's that's going to my house. Then we load the couches from my house that are going to Molly's, along with the 3 nightstands that are going to Sam's and assorted other stuff that is going to Sam's office. We go to Molly's to unload the couches and TV cabinet thing. We go to Sam's office to put the 100-ton entertainment center that Sam and I left on the sidewalk that has also been rained on, into the back room, load up the single sleeper sofa, return to Molly's to unload the sleeper sofa, upon which I leave Molly and the Friend-Boys, and I return with truck and nightstands to Sam's where he returns truck and we call it a day.

Except that I had to put the formerly-known-as-SamandLynnette's-bed together so that Philip would have a place to sleep.

I think I'm over the flu now!
____________________________________________________________________
Gifts that make today special: Davidson moving adventures; Movers Mack, Nathan, and Adam; Phil's visit; Getting rid of furniture and welcoming new(ish)

1 comment:

lynnette said...

this was a never-before-attempted adventure. a feat like none other. what made it all worth it at the end of the day for me: sleeping in a king sized bed. priceless.