Tuesday, August 18, 2009

If Only Lettuce Were Smaller ...

This adventure started awhile ago. When we redid our kitchen, I wanted a side-by-side refrigerator. I got one, but it didn't take too long to see that it was a problem. It seemed to get filled up too quickly and sometimes I had to place a dish sideways in it. I couldn't open the produce drawers all the way due to the layout of my cabinets. The freezer department was totally inadequate for all the Popsicles and Bubba Burgers we stock in bulk. In other words, it wasn't a perfect fit, but I made do.

I kept thinking I would just get a new refrigerator. However, I couldn't justify it because the one I had was new and functional. There was also the fact that a new one to replace it would cost way, way too much. So I kept trying to figure out a plan.

I came up with the idea of getting a second fridge - a basic one, smaller with no ice maker. I could get one for about one-fourth of the price of a replacement. So I set out on my search to find just the right one. I visited several showrooms, then decided to go with Home Depot. When I went to purchase said fridge, Ollie pulled it up on his computer and discovered it was on sale. Well, the black model was on sale (my appliances are white). But since this fridge was going in the laundry room, the sales price was perfect. I bought it and arranged for (free) delivery.

The place I intended for the fridge had a cabinet that needed to be removed. I managed to get it unscrewed from the wall and moved in time for today's delivery. Right on time, GE Delivery Dudes come to my door. Delivery Boss tells me that when they pulled off the carton, they noticed there were two dents in the doors, and would I like to see them. I decide this is a good idea, and go to the truck. Sure enough, there are two big dents. Delivery Boss assures me it will not affect the performance and my warranty will still be intact. Then he tells me that GE will refund me $100 for the dents. Sounds great to me, so Boss pulls the fridge off the truck, Assistant wheels it to the designated spot, they set it up and check the seals, I sign a bunch of papers, and I'm in the utility fridge business.

That is until I decide that the new fridge lined up next to the washer and dryer looks too claustrophobic. Thus begins my saga to rearrange my laundry room. Rather than take you through all the details, I'll just say that it involved the following: Hours of trying to unscrew screws that held the big cabinet to the wall that I needed to move so I could move the dryer. Unhooking the television cable from the Monster Television in the den so I could pull it out of the big cabinet. Unhooking the extra-long dryer vent thingy and then cutting off a small piece to reattach to the dryer. Sweeping up bags of old lint (I rarely clean the laundry room). Hours of trying to thread the cable back into the wall into the den - this took several coat hangers trying to find the hole and Maribeth in the den looking for the coat hanger and lots of duct tape to tape the cable to the hanger only for it to fall off when the hanger finally found the hole and Maribeth pulled it through. Moving the big cabinet out, the dryer to where the big cabinet was, the washer to where the dryer was and the little cabinet to where the washer was. There was also lots of sweeping and rearranging and sweating. Finally, everything seemed to be in place. I probably should have taken a picture, but I was too busy taking adorable pictures of Grayson and Maggie the kitten.

So today was just another chapter in the epic tale of "Luanne's Great Ideas." The good news is that the cable guy will be here tomorrow to fix the cable.

2 comments:

emily g said...

Sounds like you earned your pay, yesterday!

So, you now have 3 cats? How did the kitten come about?

Luanne said...

On the cat front, well it goes like this: Shaggy the cat has disappeared. He's been gone for several weeks. Considering his age, I'm thinking maybe he went to cat hospice never to return. But then, you never know about cats. Grayson's story has been told. The kitten comes from Molly's house - she is having trouble with fleas and are cat-sitting while she de-fleas, although Grayson and Maggie are now friends!!