Wednesday, July 15, 2009

So That's What A Habit Is!

I'm not going to blog everyday about Boot Camp, unless one day I can actually do the 20 reps that King Josh keeps asking me to do. But today I will mention camp simply for this reason - it's helping me get into a routine.

Before this week, I kept thinking that if I could just get into a habit of exercising, then it wouldn't be so hard to do on a regular basis. But then I'd end up doing a day of this, or two days of that, and just couldn't get anything to stick. But with Boot Camp, I get up every morning at 5 am to prepare for torture at 5:45 am. After only three days, it's becoming routine, and I sort of like it.

It helps that I have someone going with me. When Lynnette and I were training for the 3-Day, I think we both prayed that one of us would call and cancel that day's training walk. But we didn't. Mainly because we didn't want to be the wimp, but in the end we both helped each other complete our goal. Having Maribeth going with me keeps me going when I'd rather still be in bed.

It helps that I can see (well, at this point I can only feel like) I am getting results. At least I hope that the stiffness and soreness will eventually translate into a healthier me. Every morning I wonder how I am going to do some of the stuff we're supposed to do. Most mornings I can only do a few of the jumping-lunge-weight-crunch-plank maneuvers. But I always believe that maybe the next time I will be able to do maybe one more.

It helps that there is a beginning, middle, and end, not only for each session, but the the camp as a whole. I just think about getting through the current hour, and even though I cannot imagine doing the next day's hour, I know I will.

So I guess the thing about developing a routine is sharing it with someone, believing that your goals will be met, and having a timetable. While each of these things will vary, somehow they all work together and you find yourself with a new habit. Once all the parts are in place, all you have to do is begin.

No comments: