Thursday, June 18, 2009

Wogging Rewards

I have several wogging routes of varying lengths. The ones that go through my neighborhood follow a stream that flows along one of the streets. Today as I was out, I saw the ducks that live in one part of the stream. I hadn't seen them in quite a while, and had figured that a unleashed dog might have gotten to them. But today I was happily surprised as I saw them splash about in the water.

A few moments later, I noticed a lady bicycle rider. She had stopped at the little bridge that crosses over the stream. I looked in the stream and noticed there was an animal in the water, probably her dog. I looked a little more intently and thought, "Man, that's one big butt-ugly dog!"

As I got closer, the bicycle lady whispered, "There's a beaver in the water." And sure enough, there was. What I had thought was her dog was actually a beaver. We watched as he swam around, muddying the water and bringing sticks over.

There were many walkers and runners out in the neighborhood this morning. Many completed their runs in their projected times. I didn't. Instead, I got five miles, two ducks, and one beaver. What could be better than that!

No comments: