Sunday, June 14, 2009

What's YOUR Disney?

I live in Nashville. This week has been the week of the CMA Music Fest, and no, I have not been to one show, one signing, one meet-and-greet, or one anything. If I didn't read the local paper, I probably would hardly remember that it's even in town.

But it can affect the natives. Yesterday Sam went for his routine jog downtown and was stopped before he could continue on his regular route by the riverfront. That road was blocked off for concerts and such. This morning we rode around downtown to see all the tents and people and vendors and things associated with this event. It was pretty massive, especially seeing all the fans milling around.

As one point, I decided that the CMA Music Fest is some people's Disney World. They love it, they come to experience it, they purchase souvenirs, and they can't wait to come again.

We all have our Disney, that thing we want to experience because it fills us up. Maybe that thing is an escape from our everyday lives, but in some way it's also a part of our everyday lives. It's an outlet to enjoy that also invigorates us and gives us cause to appreciate the lives we have.

Today I looked at all those people with their name tags and hoped they had a great time making many unforgettable memories. Maybe standing in line to see Reba or Taylor has the same effect that meeting Mickey or Donald has for me. Maybe they wear their Vince and Kenny t-shirts as proudly as I wear my Animal Kingdom shirt. In the end, we're all having the same enjoyment - just in different ways.

1 comment:

Maribeth said...

Do you think any of these people have the guest room in their house devoted to their "disney"?