Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Raising Pageant-Deprived Girls

Some days I ponder over the "should haves" concerning the rearing of my three children. Then there are days like today when I am relieved at the "didn'ts" that I managed to achieve. Here's why:

This afternoon I got sucked into a television marathon of "Little Miss Perfect." What can I say - my back was hurting and I needed to recline for awhile. Sure, there were more brain-worthy shows on cable, but I got snookered into this one. Basically, it's a show highlighting two little girls who are going head to head in a beauty pageant called "Little Miss Perfect."

There are all kinds of comments that I could make about pageants, but I'll refrain. I do know that I could never put the effort and energy into this endeavor that these pageant moms do. I can't imagine teasing Maribeth's hair into the bouffant hairdos that these children sport. This is based on the hissy fit she threw when an innocent little hairdresser tried to curl her hair during a routine haircut when she was five. I also can't imagine trying to concoct an evening dress suitable for my daughters, since they pretty much refused to wear my suggestions once they cleared the womb.

Anyhow, there's really no point to this post except to say this - there are always things that moms wonder if they should have done differently. I certainly have my sackful of them. But after watching hours of this childhood event known as pageants, I am confident that's one event I needn't worry about!

No comments: