Monday, June 29, 2009

The Little Things Matter

Today I could have made some money. I decided to wash some clothes, since seven days required me to bring too many. When I went to stuff my things into the washing machine, I saw coins left in the bottom. There was a total of 37 cents, certainly not a fortune, but somebody's money. I retrieved it and left it on the folding table.

I needed more quarters, so I went to the Grill to get a cookie and some change. I asked the register lady for quarters and gave her a ten to cover my cookie and the change. She rang up my purchase and proceeded to give me change - a ten, three ones, and nine cents. I showed her the ten dollar bill I had given her, she corrected herself, and proceeded to give me the correct change.

Maybe it's not a big thing, but it was the right thing. Maybe if we all just made sure the little things were also the right things, then the big things wouldn't seem so hard.

All we really have to do is start with the little things, and that's always pretty easy.

No comments: