Friday, May 22, 2009

A Lesson from Nail Polish

Late this afternoon, I had my toenails repainted. This time I went with the tried and true, a shade of pink. While I had removed the yellow/orange polish a week ago, there was still some stray streaks of color still left on my nails. The pedicurist said, "You had yellow polish?" I admitted that I had and that it had been a huge mistake.

I guess the lesson of this story is that you can try to erase the mistakes you make in this life, but sometimes you just can't get rid of all the residual evidence. It's still there, proving that maybe you made a choice or two that you later regretted. But if you can own up to it and admit you made an error, then the action you took no longer owns you. You move on and make better choices. Maybe you learn that it's okay to make mistakes because everybody does. We're all making mistakes and learning from each other because we're all in this together.

As for me, I hope I made the world safer from yellow/orange nail polish!

No comments: