Thursday, April 23, 2009

You Know You're Volunteering At The Country Music Marathon When ...

.... you nearly get "ma'am-ed" to death!

At least that was my experience today. My assignment was to pass out runner bibs to people when they brought confirmation slips to me. I had to verify their identity via a photo id, give out the correct bib, explain the timing strip, and then direct them to the next station. I believe I heard more "No ma'ams" and "Yes ma'ams" than I heard in 13 years of teaching. But it reminded me of one of the joys of living in the South. Young boys are brought up to respect women and show that respect through their speech. And although I realize they were probably showing respect to the old lady giving out the bibs, it was a really nice way to spend the day.

No comments: