Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Mr. Potato Head and Me

On May 1, Mr. Potato Head will celebrate his birthday. He is a few years older than I am and has pretty much gone through as many changes as I have. Of course, several years ago, his (or maybe mine) dream came true when he became an important purchase at Disney World, where you can buy a box filled with his Disney accessories.

Sometimes I think it would be great to be like Mr. Potato Head, and have all my emotions in a handy storage container in my butt. Then I could just pull out an appropriate expression and stick it on my face. Or maybe I could just let someone else pull out the accessory or expression they thought was best and just do it for me.

But then I'd just be as plastic as Mr. Potato Head. I'd be hiding what I really feel. I'd be letting someone else dictate my feelings. And even though it would certainly be easier, it wouldn't be real. So I guess in the end, I'll just do what comes naturally - mad, sad, glad, bad, and everything else in between.

It may not always be pretty, but it will be me and I won't have to worry about finding the right expression - it will come straight from my heart.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

I love this post! I may even "borrow" the idea for a women's retreat I'm leading in a few weeks...the theme is "Inside-Out" and the gist of it is that no matter what we do to improve or change ourselves on the outside, when God changes us on the inside, it shows on the outside.