Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Slowing Down in a Hurry-Up World

My favorite park at Disney World is Animal Kingdom. My favorite animals among those who reside there are the gorillas and Asian tigers. Yesterday I got to visit both of them, who reminded me of a lesson I find difficult to learn - to slow down and just chill.

I thought about this today as I walked to Walgreens. I needed a printer cartridge, and figured Walgreens was my closest best option. This involved a bus ride to Downtown Disney, and then a stroll to the store. I passed several cabs along the way, and seriously considered opening my wallet. But then I thought - what else do I have to do? So I took a walk in the beautiful spring weather and enjoyed the passage of time.

We work so hard to save a little time so we can do more. Even Disney has a fast pass system so you can ride more rides without waiting in long lines. But sometimes doing more is not always better. Sometimes we need to just stop and take the long route, or wait in the long line, or just not try to do so much. Sometimes we need to just stop - period. Because by taking it slow and relishing the passing of time, we get to really live. We notice what's around us, talk to those who are with us on this journey, and give thanks to the One who provides it all.

No comments: