Sunday, March 1, 2009

Lessons Learned From Disney World

I love Disney World for many reasons. One of them is because I seem to learn many life lessons. Here's what I learned yesterday:

The situation was as follows: I was third in line for my decadent rocky road hot fudge sundae with whipped cream and a cherry on top. The woman at the register was getting ice cream for her two young daughters. She had several questions and requests of Jessica, the cast member with the ice cream scoop. She placed her order, requested an extra bowl, then made another order. When she was finally finished and wanted to pay, Jessica told her that the register was down and the woman would have to go to another register. This fact did not set well with the woman, who left and went to her daughters saying, "Well, I have never seen ..." I was unable to hear the end of her sentence because she mumbled something unintelligible, which was disappointing because it might have been something I had never seen either. She continued grousing to her daughters at the table. Meanwhile, Jessica continued to smile and help the next customer, then was as sweet and pleasant as she could be when it was my turn.

So what did I learn? I learned that someone is always watching what you do and listening to what you say, so do and say your best. I learned that if you're going to publicly announce that you've never seen something, be sure that it's worth not having seen it. I learned that the big things in our lives are usually only big because we make them big, so choose your big things carefully. But most of all I learned that being nice can come naturally to some, so always be one of those people.

No comments: