Friday, March 20, 2009

Happy First Day Of Spring Day

Today is the first day of spring. It has something to do with the equinox, information that I find interesting but not worth retaining. I prefer to think of it as Mother Nature shifting into a new gear.

I am a seasonal person. I appreciate all four seasons that I get to experience here in Tennessee. I like summer because it's sunny and playful and busy. I like fall because life slows down a bit and I can calm down and enjoy the beautiful scenery. I like winter because life seemingly comes to a standstill and I can hibernate in the cold and dark. I like spring because it's like a light turning on, signifying a rebirth of purpose and energy with signs of fresh color and new life that spur me to action.

Today was a beautiful start to the season. Today I enjoyed yellow daffodils and nurseries full of seedlings and plants. The sun was high in the beautiful blue sky. The air was cool and warm at the same time. Neighbors and children were out in their yards enjoying the weather. The feeling of possibility is in the air.

It's almost like New Year's Day. Today makes me want to make new resolutions, new plans, and new goals. It's a day to look ahead and imagine what I can do. Maybe that's why Mother Nature shifts into new gear - so when our resolve gets low, we are encouraged by fresh new surroundings. We literally breathe fresh air, recognize that change is afoot, and are energized by hours of sunlight. And even though we know there may still be some wintry days ahead, we know their days are numbered. New life awaits, and it's ours to live to the fullest.

No comments: