Sunday, February 22, 2009

We've Still Got It

When we were newly married, Steve and I did all the manual labor around the house (repairs, painting, etc.) because we were (1) poor, (2) young, and (3) ignorant. Over the years, some of that has changed - mainly we're older. These days we find that our extra pennies can hire somebody to do the household maintenance. This has probably saved our marriage, since as we have aged, our patience for such work has waned.

However, in the past few weeks, our over-the-range microwave has started acting out. It makes unusual sounds and doesn't make the usual sounds. Today I looked in the newspaper and decided that a new one would cost about the same as having a repairman come out, diagnose a problem, order the part (or tell me it's unfixable), and then have to get a new one anyway and get it installed. I decided to skip the preliminaries and went straight to Home Depot, purchased the one I wanted, and brought it home. The Home Depot guy said that it would be easy to install, or I could come back and hire somebody to do it.

I came home, after making an appointment with Sam to come help with the installation later this evening. However, upon arriving home, Steve said that he would be willing to give it a stab. At first I thought I might go search Revelation to see if this was a sign for the end times, but decided to take my life in my hands and give this adventure a whirl.

Well, after a few hours, several tools, drill holes, measuring, reading directions (a first), lifting, and positioning, our new microwave was in. While it may not be a professional job, it's good enough for us. We proved we could still work together and get something done.

I guess that means the magic is still there!

No comments: