Saturday, February 21, 2009

Running Cold















Today we did yet another 5K. It was cold and windy and sunny - perfect for two loops around the outskirts of the Opryland Hotel. This was the cheapest race I've ever entered - $6.50 for entry and t-shirt, and part of the proceeds went to the Nashville Humane Society. What could be better? Well, there was :

*chatting with my fellow woggers along the way - big man, blue skirt girl, and army woman

*spending the morning with my family

*finishing and not finishing last

*learning stuff from my performance - like eat something and stretch better when it's cold

*race shirt worth keeping

*new interesting race course

*good family race pictures

*observing the last person finishing the race, and really admiring her tenacity and courage to keep going

As much as I would like to do really well in the races I enter, I find so much to enjoy along the way. I have no doubt that one day I'll do a blistering 12-minute mile (for those of you who don't know - that's a turtle pace, yet faster than my current snail pace). But until then, I'll just appreciate all the other stuff I receive from the race - because that's really the best prize of all.

3 comments:

Kat said...

So Luanne, what DO you do with all the race t-shirts? Do you wear them all? I bet they'd make a great t-shirt quilt!

Luanne said...

Actually a few years ago, I took shirts from Steve (and later me) and made a quilt. The best thing about them is that they're warm because I used a lot of flannel. Of course, after seeing your handiwork and reading about your love of quilt patterns, I would have to say that the one I used was "Cut A Square Out Of A Shirt And Sew It Together." Currently I am saving my Disney race shirts for another quilt - and maybe more skill?

Kat said...

I am saving baby clothes to make quilts for the girls one day. I keep threatening to cut up Craig's 400 Yankee t-shirts to make a quilt but then he threatens to cut up my fabric stash to make t-shirts...