Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Being Somebody

My new outside composter thingy is sitting in my hall, waiting to be assembled and placed in my yard. I recycle cardboard, paper, and plastic. My rain barrel has been drained, awaiting spring. I am trying to conserve and do with less, at least some of the time. Today I wondered, will the little I do make any difference?

I thought a little more and decided it would. For one thing, maybe if I'm doing something, someone else is too. And if someone else is doing something, maybe there are lots of somebodies doing something.

Maybe my efforts will go unnoticed. But being noticed is not why I'm trying to make a difference. I'm trying because I hope things will change for the better, and the only way anything will ever change is if somebody starts somewhere.

And today, that somebody is me.

No comments: