Tuesday, December 23, 2008

One Hundred Things?

Today in The Tennessean, I read a story about a guy who plans to live the year with 100 things. His name is Dave Bruno and I think he may be on to something, at least for me.

I don't know that I could live with only 100 things, but I've thought a bit about it since reading this article. Certainly during this time of giving and receiving, living with a limit is very intriguing.

I do want to really check this idea out and see how it may work for me. For instance, I have a few boxes of clothes in my closet, waiting for my hips to fit into them. Are they really worth keeping, since somebody else could be enjoying them, and maybe my hips deserve a gift when they are that size? I have some other stuff that sits around mostly to gather dust - couldn't it be gathering dust somewhere else?

I don't think it's necessarily it's a matter of simply living with less and frugality. For me, it's a matter of surrounding myself with the things I love and that are important to me. It's certainly an idea I'm going to ponder for the next week. Maybe I'll come up with my own list of what I've kept and what I've let go. Maybe I'll still have too much to keep a list, but at least I'll know what I have.

It's one way of knowing what things matter. I'll bet that some things that I thought mattered really won't matter at all, and the things that really matter were being overlooked.

It's an idea, and a good one to end 2008 and being 2009.

No comments: