Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas at Redbox

It all started because I thought it would be a good night to sit in my pajamas and watch a movie. Maribeth suggested getting online and reserving my movie of choice at a local Redbox. It seemed like a good idea, so I proceeded to choose the movie and the closest Redbox location.

Naturally, the closest location to my home that happened to have the movies I wanted also happened to be in a "sketchy" part of town. Maribeth was on the road, and when I called her to tell her I had reserved them, she asked if she would be safe. Being the mom I am, I said I would retrieve the movies, since it was just getting dark.

I set off in my movie quest and soon arrived at the McDonald's, the location of the Redbox. As I drove up, I noticed one truck, one car, and one police car. No action, just sitting. One man was at the Redbox, returning movies. Of course I could have decided that maybe my $2.16 was not worth the potential future CSI or Law and Order episode, but I decided to just wait and see.

The current consumer returned his movie, and then proceeded to take his sweet time choosing three more movies. In the meantime, the car and its occupants decided to leave, followed by the police cruiser. This left just me and Hispanic Consumer in Truck. A few minutes later, another car drove up with three African American males. I am not trying to sound prejudiced, just setting the stage. Of course then there's me, who is driving a red car, that my sister-in-law believes is a drug car because in Mississippi she says all red cars are drug cars.

Anyhow, HCT finished his transaction, and I got out of my car, wondering if the other people are going to challenge my place in the Redbox line. As HCT is returning to his truck, he says, "Merry Christmas" to me. I complete my two minute transaction (speedy since I had reserved the DVDS) and the men sat in their car until I finished. As I was going back to my car, the driver got out of his car, and I wished him a Merry Christmas, to which he responded the same.

I guess this will become a favorite Christmas story of mine because it tells me all about goodwill and peace toward men. Three very different people met at a Redbox, and wished each other good thoughts. It proves to me that the love that this day is all about, is very much alive in this world - we just have to be the one to pass it along.

No comments: