Monday, October 13, 2008

The Ugly Fence

On my long training walks, one of the last signposts towards the end is the "ugly fence." Lynnette and I named this fence when we were training for our 3-Day. We deemed it ugly because the posts were painted white while the pickets were plain brown. The fence attached to the ugly fence was painted all white, so it just didn't make sense that this part wasn't painted.

However, it served a purpose for us. We knew that once we reached the ugly fence, we were nearly home. It was a welcome sight even though we wished it looked like the pristine white fence next to it.

Today as I was driving home from Curves, I looked over at the ugly fence. Imagine my surprise when I saw that it was all painted white - no more brown. It was no longer ugly, but pretty and fit in with the other fence.

The "ugly" fence may be gone, but I'll always appreciate its significance. It will still mark nearing the end of a long training wog. But now every time I go past, it will also signify something else - anything can change for the better, if you just give it enough time.

1 comment:

lynnette said...

yea!!! they finally finished painting.