Saturday, August 16, 2008

Elvis and Me

I was never a huge Elvis fan. When I was a little girl, my family drove to Memphis and because Elvis wasn't in town, we were allowed to drive up to his front door (this was the early 60's, people). I never watched him on Ed Sullivan or really listened to his music. My only favorite Elvis songs are "In The Ghetto," and "Kentucky Rain."

However, thirty-one years ago today, Elvis died. I was a college graduate and working as a data processor (if you don't know what that is, it's now an obsolete job) in an office at Mississippi State University in Starkville, Mississippi, only a few hours from Memphis. The office was mostly filled with women who had a high school education and were happy to be "working at the college." Once the news of the King's death hit, all work stopped. In between sobbing jags, these women were trying to figure out how to get to Graceland. All I could think was, "How does this affect my wedding?"

I was getting married four days later. Was the earth going to stop spinning because Elvis had passed? Should I rethink my music to include some "Hunka Hunka Burning Love?" Should I postpone the wedding due to the probable week of national (at least in the south) mourning?

As it turned out, I didn't have to make any changes to the wedding and got married on time. The ladies made it to Memphis and paid their respects. Elvis got buried in his backyard. Guess we all did it "our way."

No comments: