Thursday, August 14, 2008

Best Friends

When I was little, I had an imaginary friend. I don't really remember her (she moved before I started school), but my mother told me her name was Bessie Prinn, short (in my pre-speech therapy days) for best friend. In the years since, I have had the privilege of having many friends, and I think I have figured out what makes them "best."

A best friend doesn't care how often you call, but is so happy when you do. It doesn't matter why you call, because your best friend considers every call a blessing. It doesn't matter what you say, because your best friend listens to every word you say and holds it in her heart as long as you need her to.

A best friend doesn't keep track of how often you see each other, because every time you get together it seems as if you've never been apart . Every visit has to begin and end with a hug, because her heartfelt embrace is the first thing you want to feel and the last thing you want to remember. No matter how much time you have together, it's rarely enough because you know how precious the time is. And it doesn't matter what you do - it just matters that you have the time together.

A best friend feels your joy, your frustration, your anger, and your sadness as her own, because anything that affects you affects her. Words are never necessary to convey emotion - she feels it with you. If there is nothing to be said or done, she will just sit and hold your hand until you feel better.

A best friend is a gift that you don't have to earn. It's a part of you that will never leave, will always have your back, and is your lifeblood when you think you have none left. It's a constant in life that you can always count on.

Best friends - all it took was a phone call today to remind me of how precious a gift they are.

No comments: