Thursday, July 17, 2008

Which Cause is My Cause?

I have contributed to many organizations over the years. Some of my online favorites are Angel Tree, Gilda's Club, and Caring Bridge. I have walked and raised money for breast cancer in both The Breast Cancer Half Marathon and The Breast Cancer 3-Day. I have dropped money in red buckets at Christmas, bought breast cancer stamps, and donated items to my local animal shelter. I'm willing to help whenever and wherever I find an opportunity.

I've recently been presented with a new opportunity to spread the word and raise funds for a particular cause - I just need to choose one. Should I decide cats or cancer, families or feeding the hungry, homes or heifers? Just thinking about the staggering needs in our world is overwhelming.

I decided to think a little closer to home. I have a friend and aunt who have been through breast cancer. I read blogs detailing the daily struggles of families with premature babies and children with cancer. My family has used hospice services. Which group should I choose to be my group?

Then I remembered that when I taught, I chose an inner city school and the lowest-achieving children because I wanted to teach those considered hard to reach. When I chose an animal at a shelter or garage sale, I chose the one off by itself or most ill-behaved. In short, I usually choose the thing that tends to get overlooked. When I thought of that, I knew my choice.

My cause is Nashville Cares. Check out their website which says it best, "The doors of CARES are open to anyone affected by HIV and AIDS in need of comfort." This is an organization that seeks to help anyone affected by HIV and AIDS, which includes the families and friends of those with the disease. I chose this organization because they want to help a group of people that our society sometimes want to ignore, pretend doesn't exist, and even condemn. For a long time, even our government tried to pretend this disease wasn't important. Today I have decided the people working at Nashville Cares, and the people they seek to help, are important. They are important because they are people just like us, and they need our help and our compassion.

So here's the opportunity we (that's you and me) have. Cool People Care has started a new deal at their online store. If you use the code "LUANNEROCKS" you get 5% off and 5% goes to Nashville Cares. It's a great way to get some cool stuff, get it at a discount, and be cool in helping a cool organization. Who doesn't want to be cool in the middle of the summer? So be cool and help Nashville Cares while doing it. The code may be LUANNEROCKS, but if you do something instead of nothing, you're the one who really rocks.

This is my cause - won't you join me?

No comments: