Sunday, July 20, 2008

Mom-Vision

With the loss of my right contact lens, my vision has been compromised. When wearing the surviving lens, I see distance through my left eye and can read through my right. However, it doesn't work together all that well. I have decided that's how Mom-vision works.

With one mom-eye, we are able to see far in the future and plan for it. We can see what might happen if this or that takes place, and thus attempt to prepare our darling babies (much to their consternation). We can tell which boyfriends/girlfriends will work out, which clothing will cause future embarrassment, and when the car in front is going to brake (when riding with a teenage driver). We can see way ahead and want to make sure it works out happily for everyone.

With the other eye, we can find the missing homework, the lost sock, and anything our children need (we just can't find our own keys or cell phone). We can see when a child is lying, the first trace of forbidden makeup, and the child-applied adjustment on a report card. Nothing much gets by us.

It just gets a little fuzzy when you're trying to see both at once. Sometimes we're looking so far ahead we miss what's going on right in front of us. Sometimes we get so busy dealing with the here and now, tomorrow arrives before we're ready.

But I guess that's just how moms see - the past because it's so precious to us, the present because it goes by so quickly, and the future because it will be here before we know it. Superman can keep his x-ray vision - I'll take mom-vision any day!

No comments: