Monday, July 28, 2008

Discovering Treasures

Currently I am sitting in La Guardia, waiting for my plane. For a variety of reasons, I am here early with a bit of time to spare. I have a book to read but don't want to, things I need to write but don't have the inspiration, and lists I could make but would rather not. There are lots of people stories around me that are much more interesting to observe.

It was a good weekend in New York City. I ate at some places I wanted to, finished the half-marathon even with my formerly sprained/freshly twisted ankle, and got to visit with family. The weather was nice, especially for July, and we managed to navigate the subways and the streets fairly effectively.

I continue to hope to visit New York City without agenda - no race or specific purpose so I can just explore specific parts of the city in detail. There's a lot to discover, especially when I come so infrequently. Usually the only parts I get to experience in any detail are the parts that are associated with a race or the reason I came to the city.

I think that's a lot like people we experience in our lives - we get to know only the parts we have to for a specific agenda. Once that encounter is over, we go our own ways without getting to know parts of that person that aren't so transparent. I know we live in a busy time and have busy lives. But I wonder what would happen if instead of interacting on the fly-by, we took the time and explored one another a little more intently.

Every person has great wealth inside them. We all have treasures to uncover - we're just waiting for someone to search them out.

No comments: