Friday, June 6, 2008

Pssst ... i need your help

In response to yesterday's blog, Kat wrote:

"Why is it so hard to ask for help?"

I've thought a lot about that question. Why is it so hard?

It is because we're afraid of being rejected? Is it because we hate to admit defeat? Is it because we don't want to admit we are powerless over something? It is because we don't want to appear to be weak, inept, or lazy?

I believe we are willing to help anyone in need, often before that person has a chance to ask for help, even before that person would even think of asking for help. We want to encourage that person, make it easier for that person, or just lighten the load. We don't think less of that person for asking - we just want to help. So maybe the real question is, if we're willing to help someone else without a thought, why don't we ask for it for ourselves? Aren't we just as important as everyone else?

For whatever reasons I've been unwilling to ask for help in the past, I want to change for the future. I want to be willing to be vulnerable so that I can become strong. I want to be willing to admit I need help so I can move forward toward a formidable goal. I want to be willing to ask so that I can receive.

I know it works. I know because at a much needed time in my life, God found me a counselor/therapist/life coach/friend. I know because when I needed direction in exercising, I joined Curves. I know because when I need running advice, there are real runners at race expos willing to share ideas. I know all the help I will ever need is out there, and I don't have to tackle anything alone.

I know help is out there - I just have to be willing to ask for it.

1 comment:

Kat said...

What a great post, Luanne. For me, I think it's fear of being seen as less than "SuperGirl"... dare I say, fear of being seen as "human?" Gulp! Your post is a great reminder that all of us need help from time to time and we need to remember that when others ask for help, we're always glad to jump right in, no questions asked, to get them what they need. We ought to remember to respect ourselves just as much and to let others return the favor. Those who know us and love us (and even those who don't!) can only love us more for asking, I think... Asking for help makes us human, just like everybody else.