Monday, June 16, 2008

Marvelous Mondays

Some Mondays are surprises. Just when you think it's going to be another day of getting back on schedule, recovering from the weekend, or catching up from behind, you get surprised. Today was like that.

I knew I was going to have to get 10 miles in today. I have another half-marathon on Saturday, and I am in no way prepared (shocker, I know). I haven't done any significant mileage on a regular basis in over a month. Although I logged five miles on Saturday, I knew that ten today was absolutely vital.

I haven't been motivated to get out the door to train. I haven't felt like jogging, so I have been talking myself out of even trying. Today I knew if I wanted to get the ten in, there would be no jogging. So I started out walking. The first two miles, I was mad and I hated everything. Finally, at Mile Two, the endorphins must have kicked in because suddenly I felt better. I was thinking about Tiger and the US Open that I would be watching later and things evened out. I had eight more miles, but I knew I would finish - hopefully by sunset. I managed to get back to the house just in time for the U.S. Open playoff.

I watched for four hours as Tiger and Rocco battled it over 19 holes. The lead went back and forth, but neither gave up. When they hit bad shots, they kept going. When one got ahead, the other battled back. Neither gave up when things looked bad. In sudden death, Tiger was ahead by one stroke. Rocco gave it one final valiant try, but didn't make his putt. The tournament was over.

The marvelocity of today is that I learned the lesson of perseverance. I saw firsthand how to keep going even when you might think you're done. I saw an athlete keep playing while experiencing significant pain. I watched an underdog refuse to be intimidated by a champion. I watched two men play their own game, not letting mistakes cause them to give up.

So maybe I'll remember Tiger and Rocco when I don't want to get out and train. Maybe I'll remember that Rocco is considered "old" and Tiger was two months out of surgery. Maybe I'll remember that it's not over until it's over - you just have to keep trying.

Today I found out that I need to get out and walk/wog/jog everyday, because it benefits me. It makes me feel better and clears my head. The pace isn't always important - the important thing is to get out and go some distance at some pace. The important thing is to do it and keep doing it every day.

Perseverance - a great lesson to learn to begin the week. Thanks Rocco and Tiger, for showing me how.

No comments: