Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Being the Sprinkler System's Assistant

We have a sprinkler system for our yard and flower beds. It was put in before some of our current landscaping was done, so everything doesn't always get watered like I want. This means that I have to get out the hose and water some of the flowers myself, if I really want them to bloom. Today I was not so happy about it. I mean, the sprinkler system is supposed to do all the work for me, isn't it? Why should I have to do extra work?

Then it hit me - the fact that the sprinkler system IS doing most of the work. It does the yards and probably 95% of the landscaping. All I have to do is the little extra that I chose to add. It may take about 15 minutes, and then we're done.

I find this dilemma a lot in life. Sometimes I think if somebody or something is going take care of a task, then it should be done and I should have no responsibility. But it doesn't always work that way. Sometimes if I think there's a piece that needs to be completed, I get frustrated when it doesn't get done. If I would just quietly and willingly do my part and move on to the next thing, then the job would be done to my satisfaction. Everyone would benefit, especially me.

I guess it's time to recognize that helping and doing your part isn't a burden when you want something to have wonderful results. After all, we are all in this together. Today, it was the flowers, the sprinkler system, and me.

No comments: