Saturday, May 24, 2008

Molly Morgan Davidson

She is the epitome of tenacity, perseverance, and determination. She is also wry, witty, and fun. She is strong-willed, self-confident, and inwardly- driven. She is often right, seldom wrong, and will defend her opinion to the end. She is a self-starter, a hard-worker, and a risk-taker. She is smart, brave, and thoughtful. She is my daughter Molly, and twenty-two years ago today she made her way into this world.

Molly arrived on her own terms, a week early. Her sister likes to call her a “preemie” even though she weighed 9 pounds, 7 ounces. Being the baby of the family made Molly no pushover. If we were headed to church or ball practice or school, Molly was ready to go when Molly was ready to go. She has made her own way, decided her own path, and is finding her own place in this world.

I am thankful for her life because she came along as a special gift at a difficult time in my life. Just after I had found out I was pregnant with her, I found out my mother had cancer. She died seven weeks before Molly was born, and I like to think that somewhere out in the cosmos, they met and got to know each other during those seven weeks. Even today, I believe that Mammaw looks down on Molly and smiles, because Molly is leading the independent kind of life that Mammaw would admire and support.

I am blessed to be Molly's mom because of who she is and is going to be. But I am also blessed because of all that I have received because of her. I have the joy and memories of the moments we share, the patience and understanding gained by waiting on Molly-time, the pride and admiration of seeing her accomplish things on her own, and the faith and assurance that life goes on and continues in those we love.

Today is Molly's Day. Happy Birthday Molly - thanks for being you!

2 comments:

Sam Davidson said...

She's okay. I've had lunch with her before.

Anonymous said...

I remember the day Molly was born! I also remember there was a night, about a week before,that she kept her mom up for hours. Mom woke dad up telling him she thought "it was time". By the time dad got out of the shower, Molly had changed her mind and mom was back in bed asleep! Happy birthday to Molly!