Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Half-Marathon That Wasn't

The Cleveland Half Marathon didn't happen, at least for me. Here's why:

Last Monday, Molly had her tonsils out. She was recovering quite nicely, so I decided (after talking with her) that for the few days I was in Cleveland, she would continue on her recovery course without my interference. Unfortunately, we had not consulted her gastro-intestinal system.

Steve and I flew out Friday night. On Saturday morning Molly started vomiting and pretty much spent the day continuing that activity. I asked her mid-day Saturday if I should return, to which she said no, but then on Saturday evening, she decided it might be a good idea. When her throat started bleeding late Saturday night, Maribeth took her to the emergency room, and Molly spent the night in the hospital, re-hydrating and getting back on track. Steve and I changed our flights, flew back on the first flight this morning, and went to the hospital. Molly was discharged around noon, and is back at home, healing and re-healing.

What's the point to this story? My plan for this year was to do a half-marathon a month, hoping to encourage a regular and effective training schedule (which hasn't happened). Since I didn't do the Cleveland Half, then technically I have no half marathon for May (although I did a 5K and 15K back to back in Orlando two weeks ago). So, the question is, do I keep the half-marathon/month plan or not? Is the whole plan a bust just because I chose not to complete this one for May? Do I scuttle the whole plan or modify it?

There are several halfs that are scheduled simply because they were available a certain month. There are a few that are scheduled because I really want to do them. Do I do them all, or just the ones I really want to do? Do I refocus my training, or just keep hoping it will fall into place?

Sometimes in life we set goals that we fully intend to work toward, but stuff happens and the plans are threatened. We have to decide how this goal now fits in the grand scheme of our life. Does it still meet our original design, or has the goal become just a goal? Are we trying to improve our lives through this goal, or just trying to achieve something? These are answers that I will examine in the next few days.

The great part is that I'm glad I didn't do this half-marathon. The weather was chilly, windy, and rainy - not fun when you have to pack a pair of wet jogging shoes and clothes for travel back home. But I'm really glad because it gives me a chance to step back to think about what I'm doing and why. Now all I have to do is find the answers.

No comments: