Monday, April 14, 2008

Tool of the Day - Tin Snips

I am now the proud owner of a pair of tin snips. I could have chosen the right or left snips, but I chose the straight snips. The Home Depot man didn't seem to have a preference, so I figured just go down the middle.

I needed the tin snips for a years-forever-long home project. When we finished the upstairs many moons ago, we closed off part for the attic for storage. Unfortunately, just inside the door was the tin spout for the downstairs oven vent. It has always been a pain because anytime you want to take out a box of stuff from the attic, you have to heave it over this vent that sticks out about a foot from the floor.

After we remodeled the kitchen and put in a different vent, I knew I could get rid of this impediment. For the past several years I have made attempts with various tools. Today I got my tin snips, cut and cut and cut tin (and my finger), and finally accomplished my goal. I now have a flat floor to shove boxes in and out.

This all goes to say that sometimes you have a goal that seems to go on forever. You try and try to accomplish it, but just never quite gets there. Then one day, you get just want you need to proceed, and with hard work and the right equipment, the job gets done. The results are even better than you hoped, and life is good.

You just have to keep going until it all comes together.

No comments: