Thursday, April 24, 2008

Country Music Marathon Weekend - Day 1

One of the best things about the Country Music Marathon is when I volunteer. In previous years, I've passed out goodie bags, held out cups of water for thirsty runners, cut off timing chips at the end of the race, wrapped mylar blankets around finishers, placed medals around the necks for the kid's marathon, and set up barriers, but I think my favorite is manning the registration table.

In this volunteer position, I take the runner's registration paper, look at their photo id, hand them their bib number and information packet, and direct them to the next destination in the registration process. The registration tables are divided by the 1000s (this year there were 30 tables). I always choose a high-numbered table - this year I am assisting the 28000-28999 numbered runners.

I always choose the higher numbered tables because (1) these are my running peeps (this year I am number 27thousand-something) and (2) these runners have the best stories and attitudes. While at my post today, I met a neighbor down my street (same thing happened to me last year with a different neighbor - either I'm not a friendly neighbor or the entire street is afraid to get out of the house). I met a lot of people from New York running with Team in Training (tried to help them through the culture shock of being in the south). I met many people running their first half-marathon and other people who wanted to move up a corral because they have become faster runners during their training. I registered local news anchor Jennifer Krause who was very nice, and grumpy local sports news dude Big Joe on the Go. I even talked to a group that's going to do the half-marathon with hula hoops!

Most of the runners who come to my table are excited, nervous, and maybe a little scared. Many don't know what to expect come Saturday. But they're all committed to completing 13.1 miles for their own personal reasons. Their stories are the ones that are the true heart of a race for me because they're not running for a time - they are running for themselves, to prove that they can do it.

On Saturday, when those runners cross the finish line and that medal is placed around their necks, they will know the absolute joy that comes with completing a goal one never imagined possible. They will become half-marathoners and will be forever changed for the experience.

I'm just thankful to be a small part of their stories.

No comments: