Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Brain Training

My goal of running a half-marathon every month doesn't leave much time for real training (at least that's my story). Either I'm recovering from the last one or tapering for the next one. It's been hard to get those long runs in. But I know I've got to do it.

Today I dragged myself out for 8 miles. This route has been a usual one, but one that I've gotten away from. I knew I had to get back to it, so today I did, albeit v-e-r-y ---- s-l-o-w-l-y.

Today really wasn't about physical training. Today I had to get my brain back on track. If I can get back to thinking of an 8-mile route as routine, then 13.1 miles doesn't seem so bad. When I get back to feeling that 8 miles is just another training day, then those half-marathon days aren't so daunting.

I still need to get faster and more physically fit. Those wogging days are important training days. But today was about getting my brain back to half-marathoning and expanding my concept of routine mileage.

Another half-marathon life lesson - we can do whatever we choose to do - we just have to train our brains to believe we can do it. All we have to do is keep increasing our limits of what we believe is doable.

1 comment:

Steve said...

I hope you are not wogging with your tin snips.