Tuesday, April 1, 2008

All It Takes Is One Card

One of my favorite games on my computer is Solitaire. I play it when I'm waiting for something to load, or just have an extra few minutes.

Today I was playing a round, and it looked as if it were going to be a quick game. None of the exposed cards were playable, nor were any of the cards I was turning over. I figured the game was over - until I turned over the last three. The next card was playable, and it caused another card to be playable. As I continued to draw cards, it seemed that the game continued, playable card by playable card. Just when I thought the game was over, it continued - all it took was one card.

I will need to think about this when a project or a goal seems doomed. Just when I think something won't happen or I can't achieve what I want, I will remember that all it takes is one action to continue and make progress. One action may result only in one more action, but it is forward motion. As long as a play to be made, there's still hope for anything to be accomplished.

I just have to keep turning the cards.

No comments: