Friday, February 22, 2008

The Wogging Spirit

Last night Steve and I went to see the movie, "The Spirit of the Marathon." I really enjoyed it. The movie told the stories of several people who were training for the 2005 Chicago Marathon. Some were just everyday people like me, some were serious runners wanting to qualify for Boston, and some were elite athletes who win marathons by running five-minutes miles.

The movie didn't inspire me to run marathons again - I'm happy just trying to improve my half-marathon time. But it did remind me of the camaraderie I enjoy at races with people who run my pace. It's fun to meet people all along a race route, hear their stories, and to encourage them and be encouraged by them.

I'm not sure I'll ever run fast enough to even manage to place in my age group. But my real prize are the memories I get from each race - that and the finisher bling, that is.

See you at the finish line!


No comments: