Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Luanne Who?

A few weeks ago during my whirlwind flyby of Mississippi, I had a contact lens disappear. One minute it was in my eye, and then it was gone, never to be seen again. Once I had returned to Nashville, I called my eye doctor and ordered a new one.

I had not heard from them, and since I was leaving town tomorrow, I decided to call to check on it. As it turns out, they had tried to call me, but the only phone numbers they had were our old house phone number (since disconnected by choice) and my former work number.

Apparently they did call my work number. Someone there told them that I no longer worked there, and had moved to Florida. Okay, I know I visit WDW a lot - but moved??

I found this funny, but also a little sad. I'm sure there has been a big turnover of personnel, but was there no one who remembered me in the three years since I've been gone? I also feel a little guilty, because once I left those halls, I didn't go back except once to visit.

There's really no end to this story, except to realize how quickly we forget and lose touch with those who were once so important in our lives. And while it's really nobody's fault - it's just the facts of this life we lead - it still just feels a little sad.

No comments: