Thursday, February 7, 2008

Back on the Road Again

Since the WDW marathon on January 13 and the Miami half-marathon two weeks later, I have not been able to get back to a training routine. Either I would decide I was still in "recovery" from a race, or I would talk myself out of getting out. Yesterday I managed to get out for three miles. Today I knew I would have to really get back with it.

Procrastinating as long as possible, I finally got out the door late this morning. I purposely took it slow and managed to complete my planned distance. The weather was a little chilly and I didn't push it, but I got my eight miles in. I did feel a bit sore afterwards, but it was a good kind of sore. It felt good to be back on the route. It felt good to be out in the air again. It felt good to see the familiar landmarks in the distance and then to pass by them. It felt good to know that I was doing what I need to be doing. It felt good, even with the realization that I still have some serious training ahead of me.

If I am serious about completing a half-marathon every month this year and cutting two minutes off each succeeding half-marathon, then I am going to have to become very intentional and dedicated to training. There are going to be days that I don't want to do it. But that is part of the reason for this goal of 12 half-marathons - to keep me focused and disciplined.

So today I started back. It felt like going back home, and it felt good.

No comments: