Thursday, January 17, 2008

Treasure at Target

Having moved to and from cities, houses, and jobs, I am used to losing people that have meant so much to me. Either we're both too busy or forgetful, or time just passes by before we know it. I've let too many friends slip out of my life. But in the past year, God has helped me reconnect with several of them. Today He caused another one to literally cross my path.

Nancy was the guidance counsellor in the school where I taught seventh grade. We worked together with students and in various school projects. But we also played together by going to movies and out to dinner. She transferred to another school, and although I caught news of her from time to time, we never really got together once she left.

I've thought about her from time to time. Recently, I had even checked the school district's email service to see if she had an email address (I didn't think this too reliable - after all, after almost three years, I still have a school email address). I've wondered how she was and where she was, and wondered if she would even remember me.

Today all those questions were answered. Maribeth and I were in Target doing a little shopping. We were headed for the checkout when I look up and see Nancy literally walking in front of my cart. We eyeballed each other, hugged, said the usual, "Hey, it's you!", etc., and quickly caught up on old times.

It's so great to see old friends. Friends with whom you shared a life. Friends you've had laughs with and struggled through tough times with. Friends who haven't changed in spite of the years that have flown past since the last time you were together. Friends who mean as much to you as you do to them.

I gave Nancy my email and phone number, with the promise to get together. I hope we do, because like a buried treasure, once a valued friendship is unearthed, you never want it to be buried again.

No comments: